Fodder for Thought

The Decision

I’m going.

On March 25, 2013 I will begin my service with Peace Corps, as part of Group 45 going to Ukraine with a Youth Development project. I will spend a few days training in the US, and the next 3 months training with my fellow Ukraine Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs) where I will learn Ukrainian, what exactly youth development is, and be assigned my specific community and project in Ukraine. 80% of the volunteers will be placed in rural communities while the other 20% are placed in the cities.

Yes, I pulled myself out of my state of indecision by thinking back to why I decided to apply to Peace Corps in the first place. I’ve had a desire to live abroad for years – the times I’ve been abroad for a few weeks at a time (farming is Costa Rica, biking in New Zealand, birthright in Israel, kayaking in Canada) have been amazing adventures that temporarily quelled my travel bug. Yet the underlying desire to live abroad and truly attempt to immerse myself in another’s country culture and community has remained. And this desire will not subside until I go live abroad.

The opportunity is here now. The time is now.
Because if not now, when?

My fears that the timing is not right, and that I will miss the Bay and all of its glorious community and treasures are stemming from my insecurities of being uncomfortable in unknown and untread territories. My friends and family have been incredibly supportive of any decision. The irony of it all is that their love and encouragement is the very reason I don’t want to go, and it is also the very reason I am able to make the decision to go.

It will be freezing, it will be lonely, it will be hard, but I’m looking forward to adopting a new life motto: one man’s icy hellhole is another’s playground!

Thus, the decision has been made, and I am excited!!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s